Camel Market

Camel Market

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Update 3 - Poll Hall, Shisha Joint, and Work

  This last week some coworkers and myself discovered a place that has pool tables and a really nice indoor cafe. It's a ten minute walk from the compound and it just opened up a couple of weeks ago. Prices are nice and they make one mean espresso, for six riyals! It's a cool get away to go and grade papers and just relax while watching Twilight or soccer games. lol

 Just five minutes up the road is a cool shisha (flavored tobacco) place that is about as close as you're going to get to experiencing Saudi culture from where I stand. I'm no smoker, but the hookah is an interesting device that filters the tobacco through water and into the pipe. I've done it a couple of times, and have no interest of making a habit of it. I've tried double apple and it tends to be the sweetest, from what I hear. It's an odd scene seeing dozens of Saudi men yelling at the workers for more coal on their hookah to burn away the tobacco. 

 Work is going well and my class is progressing a long nicely. Life this week is pretty normal and nothing major to discuss. There is a visit this Thursday to a date farm in the morning, I look forward to tasting some good dates and to taking some nice photos to post. 

 Just a quick post before bed. It's time to sleep and get ready for another day in the Kingdom. 

 -  Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment