Camel Market

Camel Market

Sunday, July 1, 2012

First class post evaluation

    I just finished my first class as an AUAF faculty member. My first class was held about an hour away from Peach House for a project that is contracted by the university. Watching out the window of a Ford vehicle, life for the typical Afghan appears to be rough; however, most people have a smile on their face. It's really an odd contradiction, if you ask me. I even saw a heard of goats eating in the middle of a rubbish pile in the road, and there are also many horse-drawn carriages driving alongside the traffic in the city. 

 Arriving at the client organization, my bag was searched and I was padded down, which I'm told will be a daily procedure. This also happens when I enter the university. There's security everywhere in Kabul, mostly Afghan military and police, but also private contractors who are hired by private organizations. Remember that ID card I wrote about last night? Well, it came in handy today when I had to turn an ID in in exchange for a visitor's card. 

 My class was held in a very basic room with a long oval table to sit about ten people. I had six students in the course, four men, and two women. Everyone was very nice and they all had a really good English repertoire. What they really need help in is in writing and basic grammar. Today we worked on writing prepositions in an email and how to choose the correct writing styles for such a business-like atmosphere. I also gave examples on how context is very important and how formal writing requires crystal clear understanding as to not be ambiguous and cause misunderstandings. In short, the class flew by and it was great! Tomorrow I start my class at the British Embassy. That'll be a two hour class, three days per week. 

 Now, I'm at the university trying to work out how to get my phone working and when I can go buy some eggs. I just can't walk out the front door you know! 

 -  Jesse 

No comments:

Post a Comment