Camel Market

Camel Market

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

English class at the British Embassy in Kabul

   Today I had my first class at the British Embassy teaching a debate session on corruption with about 10 Afghani adults who work there. The class was quite rambunctious and were eager with opinions about a topic that plagues their country. Corruption as you know, has been widely reported in the US media as being rampant here in Afghanistan, something that many of the students agreed with.

 To get to the embassy, I had to wake up by 6:30 in the morning and ready to be picked up by a AUAF vehicle outside of Peach House. The drive normally takes about 25 minutes in good traffic. However, today it took about 40 minutes. The embassy itself is well guarded by numerous gates and armed guards. I didn't have any trouble getting in as I had my handy ID card on me which was exchanged for a visitors permit. I then had to wait for about half an hour so one of the students could sign me in.

 It was very intriguing seeing how Afghanis thought of such an issue that relates to them. They were very argumentative and eager to be heard, the women included. Instead of being a teacher, I felt more like a facilitator during a debate in British parliament. Overall, I think it went well. Now, I need to plan for next weeks lessons which will be on the same topic, but emphasizing different language skills.

 Today, I also have my true language course that I'll be teaching. I have to plan a curriculum based on a book I've been given and that's what I'm about to do as I sit here in my office at AUAF with a view of a smoggy sandy mountain, one of many, that surrounds Kabul.

 - Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment