Camel Market

Camel Market

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Dinner at the Date Farm, the fruit, not with a girl....

   A lot has happened over the last three to four days while my journey here in Saudi Arabia continues to progress. I plan on blogging more about that later, but I want to get this next post down while it's fresh in my mind.

 Yesterday, our day off, all of us teachers had to go and dress up to attend a Saudi cultural lecture, four hours long, out in the dessert around Al-Hofuf/Ah-Ahsa (same thing, kind of). Thing 'lecture' included a dinner, which rumor had, was pretty good. All of us 'male' teachers left the combound at 3:15 and rode on the bus for about twenty minutes to a date farm, not the dessert. This 'farm' included acres upon acres of Date Palm Trees and marvelous buildings surrounding it.

 The lecture was given by a professor of cross cultural studies from Kind Saud University, in Riyadh and consisted of a general synopsis of how not to be 'ethnocentric', how to adjust to life in Saudi, and a general Q and A session that lasted quite a while. Overall, it wasn't too bad of a presentation and was quite humorous at times.

 Four hours later, we were all led to the farm owner's house where we had the most splendid buffet I have ever seen and had in my life. That's saying a lot for those of you who know I love a good buffet! Anyways, not only was the buffet and food amazing, but the whole thing was surrounded by the guys indoor pool! It was quite the site. Below are some photos that I took.

                                          The lecture hall
                                          The speaker
                                                    Lamb, Beef, Chicken, etc....
                                                    Desserts
                                          Swimming pool which we ate around
                                          Hummous, vegetables, salad
                                          My plate! :-)
                                                    Oh, so yummy!
                                          Huge rice dish
                                          Fruit plate
    
                                                       Date Plantation
                                          Date Plantation parking way

 Ok, that's all. I'm tired and am dealing with slow internet. There's a lot more to tell, just don't have the patience to do it now. Work is going great, taught six classes today, two of which were ovetime, yay for more cash. Tomorrow I'm working six again and am winging all of my classes for reasons that I don't want to type out at the moment. Loving the job, life, and journey that Saudi is taking me on.

 Life continues in the Kingdom...

 -  Jesse

1 comment:

  1. I want to eat with you Jesse.......Bet the food is yummy...Paula

    ReplyDelete