Camel Market

Camel Market

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

First Day of Work at KFU (King Faisal University)!

 On my way over to KSA (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia), I had more questions than answers regarding what Teaching EFL (English as a Foreign Language) would be like inside agruably one of the strictest Islamic country in the world. Prior to leaving many people asked me "What will you be teaching"?, and "How will their English be"? The responses to these questions were met by a very certain, "I don't know". Well, yesterday I got some answers as it was my first day of work.

 At 2:30 AM I decided to get up after another unsuccessful night of trying to sleep. I skyped with the family back home and chatted to my friend, Pablo, who recently left a long decades ESL career in Korea to come and savor the sands of Arabia, like me. Coincidentally, we both live in the same area, Al-Ahsa, separated by only about fifteen-twenty minutes worth of winding roads and crazy drivers. At 6:30 AM, I was dressed in shirt and tie and ready to begin the professional part of my adventure here in the Kingdom, teaching! Sadly, I don't get to eat kebabs and go to the Al Othaim mall all day. :-)

 The day began by loading up on the compound bus, which transports all of us teachers to KFU, at 6:30 AM. From the compound it's a about a fifteen minute ride to the university campus. KFU resembles a typical US university; however, the architecture is all arabian and in the color of light orange sandstone. This year, the university constructed an entire new office/class building for us on campus and most of the teachers have their own infividual office. I, on the other hand, share a big office with a counterpart and have three windows to let all of that lovely Saudi sun in! :-) Sharing an office isn't bad, though. I'd actually kind of prefer it as not to be alone so much. You kind of have to consider your work mates your family over here as you live with them, work with them, and go out with them all of the time. One big bundle of joy! lol......

 During the work day we conducted English proficiency exams to properly place students at their correct level of English understanding. Since I am in Chris' team, my team leader, we will be teaching the most advanced students out of the group. I am happy to say that I will be more than instructing ABC's and 123's like I did in Korea.

 Each classroom is in a different location on campus and from the new building where we are located, it is quite a long walk. The campus is quite spread out and the hot Saudi midday sun took quite a beating on me yesterday. After one class, me and one other teacher were walking around for twenty minutes from building to building trying to find a place with bottled water. By the time we found a cafeteria-like place, I was hot, sweaty, and determined never again to forget bottled water while at work.

 That pretty much sums up my work day yesterday. Here I am on day two sitting at a Crispy Creme that I found on campus with working WiFi! I'll close this blog-of-the-day with a couple of photos from my first day in KSA.

 Life continues in the Kingdom and I am enjoying it more and more everyday! 

                                                    The local spice bar at the supermarket in Al-Otham mall.
                                                    My apartment building where I live (bottom floor)

                                                    Stephanie (Canadian) dressed in her 'habaya' and me

1 comment:

  1. Don't go too wild with those Krispy Kremes, but do enjoy yourself. ;)

    Miss you, man!

    ReplyDelete